Sunday, October 08, 2017

Brown study



It's drizzling today as I write these words, but the woods have been dry for weeks, and with the days getting shorter and the temperatures marginally colder there hasn't been much new to see. At the halfway point of a two-hour walk I found these healthy specimens of Ischnoderma resinosum, commonly known as the resinous polypore. I'm told it's edible in the early stages, but I don't forage; I'm happy just to enjoy the rich earth-tones and textures and know that the woods still have a few sights to offer before winter shuts down the show.

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I finally know (at least slightly) about such fungi from The Hidden Life of Trees. I’m happy to know what I’m seeing here.

Their presence does mean that the tree is dying or already dead, yes?

Chris said...

This particular species, according to my field guide, only grows on dead trees. Some of the large polypores are serious tree pathogens, but others seem to do little harm to their hosts.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Chris.