Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cortázar: Cartas (new edition)


A post by Gustavo Ribeiro at Blog Morellianas brings news of a forthcoming, vastly expanded edition of Julio Cortázar's letters, replacing the already substantial three-volume edition published twelve years ago.

The new edition, which promises more than 1,000 new letters, will appear in five volumes, three of which (shown above) are being published in February 2012, with the balance to follow in March. The publisher is Alfaguara in Argentina; the ISBNs of the initial volumes are 9789870421238 (Vol. 1), 9789870421405 (Vol. 2), and 9789870422709 (Vol 3.).

4 comments:

Gustavo said...

Hi, Chris.
Very nice text in your post. I wish I knew how to write like this: elegantly , but without any affectation.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea Alfaguara had already revealed the front covers images - they look much like the 2000s editions, by the way.

Haven't had the chance to read "Cartas a los Jonquières" yet. How about you? Seems to be a very interesting book. Maybe the letters in "Cartas a los Jonquières" will also be present in this new editions of "Cartas".

Chris said...

Gustavo,

No, I haven't read the Jonquières volume. These new ones will set me back a bit, so I'll probably buy one or two at a time, maybe starting with Vols. 2 and 3, which cover the period I'm most interested in at the moment. I may wait until someone in the US imports some copies so I don't have to pay so much for shipping.

All the best.

Gustavo said...

Hi, Chris!
I've jut published the translation to your open letter to me.

http://blogmorellianas.blogspot.com/2012/01/uma-carta-aberta-gustavo-ribeiro.html

Sorry for this terrible delay.

Best,
Gus

Chris said...

Thanks, Gustavo. I've added a link from my original post to your translation.