Sunday, July 12, 2009

Elsewhere (Otherness)


New work by Carla Rippey, at El uso de la memoria.




Rippey writes:
I have to make clear that I use cultural elements from “elsewhere” as an amateur or tourist and not as a student of cultures. The iconography doesn’t imply for me all that it would imply for the natives of these borrowed cultures; my constructions are inventions, perhaps metaphors, a sort of pastiche of elements that come to have, which must assume, a significance distinct from that which they carry in context of their own culture. But the existence of that original, implicit meaning can give the created image another layer of resonance.
The image below is from a separate project, The Figure in the Carpet.


See my earlier post, or, better yet, the artist's blog.

No comments: